Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Gluten Un-Invited


There are lots of invitations around the holiday season from Thanksgiving to New Years for family and friends to celebrate & enjoy the festive season. So, it is with much feet dragging, inner tantrum throwing, and just plain old sadness that I must send out an un-invite to….all the gluten right a midst the hustle & bustle of this holiday season . Our relationship has been a good one, well  until it literally made me sick that is… I can honestly say that I have been a lifelong lover of all things Gluten. It’s a family trait. From bread (my mom’s AMAZING rolls)both savory savory & sweet, pastas, breading (I’m talking the fried chicken my Papa made that no one can match), desserts (insert all desserts here), and all other things I don’t want to think of right now….Did you know that the average taco season has gluten added?? It’s oddly amusing to me that with the very long list of (mainly auto-immune) diseases & disorders that I have, I had not yet encountered one that requires a specific diet. I know many people think my Type 1 Diabetes does, but it doesn't!!

It should also lessen the blow that my mom has had to follow a GF diet for a number of months now. In a way, I suppose it does but I’m still grumpy about this. I keep testing myself, thinking “no this can’t be it”. I eat something gluten filled, a hot dog bun (yes, with a hot dog) and like clockwork within 30 minutes the excruciating migraine like headache begins, then takes over everything. Maybe I should stop the testing….maybe. I've already done lab work, and have a test lined up to rule out other problems. So far what I know for sure is that removing gluten drastically improves my health so, no gluten for me folks. (Insert a little sniffle, sniffle here) (Quickly followed by the voice in my head that says...suck it up, big smile, & move on) 
Well, guess I should devote a little space to mentioning the things that make this not so fun change a bit better…. Turns out I have so much more energy  when gluten is not a part of my diet. Also, I don’t feel get that “my stomach is so full/bloated” feeling after eating anymore!! And, my acid re-flux has disappeared…..for real!!! I ate a dinner of (rice)spaghetti noodles & tomato sauce and did not have any acid re-flux what so ever after….It has been well over a year since that has happened!! My mom having already been dealing with  GF for a bit knows what stuff if worth buying and has plenty of stuff I can try! My son, who is my sunshine could care less whether his food is made with something gluten free. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. He asks “Momma, is this Gluten free?” and no matter what my response is, he says, “It’s great!” or “momma, you are the best ______ cooker/baker in the whole world” In those moments I am reminded that no matter what I am facing my little son-shine is right there supporting me!! I got this!! No matter what it is!! 

Whether Gluten is invited to your holiday or not, I wish you a very Merry Christmas everyone!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment